12/18/2011

Gradient Mani

From left to right:

Black on Black by Sinful Colors
Love Nails by Sinful Colors
Centerstage by Confetti
Matte About You by Essie
Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat


 To begin:

* 1 coat Black on Black
* 1 coat Love Nails
* 1 coat Seche Vite (this will dry your polish in a snap so you can keep working)



Next:

* Pour out a generous drop of Confetti (tin foil or wax paper...whatever works for you)

* get your applicator (or snippet of cosmetic sponge/wedge) ready.

* lay one side of the applicator into the polish and give it a decent soak. You are now ready to begin!

How to sponge on color:

* there is no right or wrong way; this is all done by eye, and sponged on until I liked the result.

* with a light hand, begin at the very tip and lightly sponge the color on about halfway down your nail.

* go back to the tip and add more color...it should be heaviest at the tip and blended lighter down.

* remove excess polish and blend with the opposite, clean side of the applicator

* continue on all 10 nails


This is what you should end up with:


Because I couldn't leave well enough alone, and because I'm not loving the tones of blue & purple I used here, I sponged Black on Black on the very tips. Meh...still not loving this....


 Apply 1 thick (always thick!) coat of Seche Vite top coat. Give it about 2 minutes, and poof! They're dry.


 From another angle....


 And, still not happy, I busted out the Matte About You. Because I'm Matte About It. :-P

My pinkie & ring finger have been "mattified".
My middle and pointer fingers are not.





 Here they all are, completely mattified. How much do you LOVE THIS?! I die for Matte About You...best $10 I ever spent!




 aaaaaand, never one to leave things alone, I had an idea! I wanted to show you the glassiness of Seche Vite over the Matte About you, so I poured a drop of Seche onto my tinfoil and VERY QUICKLY (read: I wasn't trying to make a masterpiece here) tapped it on in polka dots with a bobby pin. Pretty neat, huh?


The finished product, MINUS CLEANUP. Because I snapped pics as I went, cleanup was the last thing I was thinking...I should've made nice for the final ta-da photo, but really, you can just be polite and pretend you don't see the polish all over my cuticles. I did this at 4:30am...cut a girl some slack!

This can be done with ANY COLORS you want....like I said, I'm not loving this, and by 4:50am it was all taken off.

Give it a try and see how you do! Remember, practice makes perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment